Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Créditos Finales

Rather than sum up my trip in any other way, I decided to copy and paste the last three paragraphs from my journal as an epilogue, which I had lost until recently. See below for cast and credits. - Lucas

The rest of the trip was spent in a daze. We hung out in Cusco for a day, said goodbye to Sharon. Then there were six. Left for Lima, where we said goodbye to Elard. Then there were five. Spent a day hanging around Lima & I goodbye to the four Goatcheeses. Now there’s one, me. I’m sitting in a hotel room, the last man standing at party with scattered memories, reading through the pages and pages of my journal like it was someone else’s.

It feels cheap to talk about an expensive celebratory dinner on the waters of the Pacific. I feel guilty to look at my watch or to think about Christmas. I feel stupid for feeling angry for something as small as losing pictures on a memory card. I feel embarrassed that I was upset at a delayed flight or a messed up order at a restaurant.

My shoes are wet from a late night trip to the ocean, my clothes are dirty from alpaca shit, spilt wine, and saltwater. My heart is full of love and computer full of pictures. I leave at midnight tonight, get home Sunday night, go back to work Monday and move into my new house on Friday. That’s not really what I want to do. All I want to do is smell the air in this city, in Peru, in South America, in the world. All I want to do is think about the people I’ve been around. All I want to do is think about the places I’ve been. All I want to do is understand the things in the air that give direction and motivation in my life. I don’t want to forget, I want to learn to remember and be free of the past at the same time. All I want to do is write. There’s so many things that I want to do, all I want to do is do them. I think I will.




Maurice and his Peruvian. Theif.





Christine and empty wine glasses. Lush.





Emma and her gang signs. Whitebread thug.





Chanelle and her roasted guinea pig. Savage.





Sharon, aka 'Rooms', with her constant smile. Sicko.





Elard, with his favorite bathroom. Exhibitionist.





Silver, with his 5,000 kg backpack. Showoff.





Fearless author, shameless photographer, with his alpaca flokati hat. Clown.







No comments: