Tuesday, April 08, 2008

A Conversation With The Fire Department

Boom! Snap! POP!

Those were the sounds that I heard this morning across the street from my office at 7:00 am this morning (yeah, i was at work at 7:00). A transformer had exploded and sent sparks all over the place, igniting the power pole. Awesome! I started dialing 911 and grabbing my camera. The conversation went kind of like this:

Recording: "Thank you for calling 911. Your call is important to us. All operators are busy, do not hang up. Hanging up could delay response time."
Elevator music. Click -
Operator: "Hello. 911. How may I help you?"
Me: "Good morning! I work at 31st & Broadway and one block east of me, a transformer blew up and it looks like there's a pretty good fire going over there."
Operator: "Ok, what's your address?"
Me: "3100 Broadway, but the fire is one block east of me. I dont know the street name, but it's the one with the fire in the middle of the block. You cant miss it."
Operator: "Ok, let me transfer you to the fire department."
Me: "Okie dokie."
Fire Dept Operator: "Hello, how may I help you?"
Me: "Good morning! I work at 31st & Broadway and one block east of me, a transformer blew up and it looks like there's a pretty good fire going over there."
Fire Dept Operator: "Well sir, if it is an electrical fire, we can not put water on it."
Me: "Well, whatever, I really could care less, I'm seven stories up and over a block away, I'm in no danger. But you are the fire department, so naturally when I saw an unauthorized fire blazing, you were the first people I though of. I dont care if you decide to put it out with ice cream or let the sucker burn the city down, I'm well insured."
Fire Dept Operator: sigh...."ok, we'll send someone to check it out."
Me: "Great! Have a good day, hope I didnt interrupt anything up there!"
Click
Click

3 comments:

Jay said...

Wow! The agency that I work for has an office in the building at 3100 Broadway. They were with out power for a couple hours. Glad I don't work in that office!

Heather said...

Put it out with ice cream!

That's hilarious!!

Well Hell Michelle said...

Awesome. That's the way to get the attention of government employees :)