Sunday, May 18, 2008

KC Literature Festival

Saturday was the Kansas City Literature Festival and I headed down to get the skinny on it. Being a huge book fan, I probably had much higher expectations than I really should have and it was a bit of a letdown. I pictured rows upon rows of used books and beatniks smoking long cigarettes all over the place. What I got was kiosk after kiosk of local book groups with very little content. Only the Rainy Day Books tent was worth spending any time at. I'll stick with BookMooch, Amazon.Used and Half Priced Books I suppose.

At any rate, I'm a big fan o' readin' (not so much lately, but se la vie) and I decided to put together a quick list of the books I've been reading over the past few months and a simple (*) rating from my worthless opinion. Some people write about movies, some about how much they hate their job or whatever. I write about books and take bad pictures with my new camera....

Here's what's been going on around my bookshelves lately in between taking care of my massive house, going to garage sales and planning my next journey into the unknown:

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers (*****) - a great book
Companions of Jehu by Alexandre Dumas (*****)- a great book by my favorite author
The Yiddish Policeman’s Union by Michael Chabon (****) - this took a bit to get into, but ended up being really good.
The Big Over Easy: A Nursery Crime by Jasper Fforde(*****) - a new 'favorite' author
Better Than Sex by Hunter S. Thompson(***) - kind of long book without any real direction, even by HST standards.
The 13 ½ Lives of Captain Bluebear by Walter Moers(*****) - unbelievably entertaining. Kind of felt like a kids book, but that's how i roll.
The Zookeeper's Wife: A War Story by Diane Ackerman(****) - very sad/happy book about a WWII zoo that was used to hide refugees in the Warsaw ghettos in Poland.
Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs(****)- classic book. Everyone should read it.
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens (**) - you either love this book or hate it. I wasn't feeling this book the way I normally feel Dickens.


Ohh, and here's some pictures:


































4 comments:

Amanda said...

Hi Lucas, I stalk your blog regularly and happen to like the "bad" pictures you take with your new camera. I am jealous. If you are a Burroughs fan (Augusten, not William S.) you might pick up A Wolf at the Table-his latest book. Good read so far...
Love your posts-they keep me up on the excitement I miss in the city by living out here in the 'burbs.

LezLynn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LezLynn said...

Cap'n Bluebear sounds like it's up my childish alley. I owe you one "Haunting of Hip Hop" and request "13 1/2 lives of that guy" in its place.
Dang. I sure hope my liberry card at the Hutmacher liberry hasn't been revoked. :)
good photos, too. i like the coffee one, the girl reading w/her mother and the booger pickin' shot. haha

Lucas said...

Amanda! Thanks for stalking me. It does great things for my self esteem! Why are there so many popular Burroughs authors? I will mos def check that one out. He's a great writer.

Lezzle Fenezzle...
You're about 1 for 2 on my library card, but the other one was a pretty bad book, so I forgive you. Cap Bluebear is awful cool looking though, so you can either borrow it and be careful or i could read it to you from a safe distance.

That picture of the woman and kid reading, she was actually an author of children's books and she was on stage TORTURING kids for Lit Fest Swag. You should see the dope hat i got outta the deal, Nemo has nothing on me...