Wednesday, August 13, 2008

My First Non-Food or Bathroom Related Race

So, people do crazy stuff when they've been drinking. Some get tattoos, some get married, some drive their cars very fast towards immovable trees. I accidentally signed up for a 5k race in San Diego. My first 'race' ever.

The morning of the race, I woke up three hours after getting home and headed out to find the starting gate. So, picture this - over 300 racers standing around in all states of stretching and warming up. People in head-to-toe spandex, others wearing the little shorts with the slit up the side, bony collarbones and veiny legs all surrounding one guy, sitting on a curb, all by himself. This poor soul does not fit in. He's wearing an extremely worn out pair of Nikes with black tube-socks, gray basketball shorts and a plain white T-shirt, the one he wore the night before, with a small wine stain just above the belly. He's also got a blue headband on his grape, headphones in his ears, is sucking back a coffee and staring blankly at the ground. Maybe you feel sorry for this guy, maybe you think he's a hobo.

Nope, that's me.

By the time it was said and done, I ran a 22 minute 5k, something just above a 6-minute mile. I finished 10th in my age group, 63rd overall out of a stack of 320 GIS nerds. In my defense, if they had taken blood alcohol content or cigar frequency into account, I probably would have won.

Anyway, here's a few more pictures from San Diego.







































2 comments:

OliveU said...

That's awesome!!! So PROUD!
You're becoming quite the photog too:)

Well Hell Michelle said...

Congratulations! Awesome time. My first 5k time was pretty damn sad compared to that :)